BRYGGEN & Pieter Wispelwey

Fri — 15/03/2024 20:00 Concertgebouw Brugge

‘The Protecting Veil’ was originally written as a short piece at the request of cellist Steven Isserlis, but quickly developed into a more substantial work commissioned by the BBC for the 1989 Proms season. Like many of Tavener’s compositions, this work reflects the composer’s Russian Orthodox faith.
Eight Marian icons underlie the work through which Tavener sought to capture the cosmic power of the Mother of God. Above all, the British composer wants to underline and express the importance of the feminine. Although this work expresses a clear subject, you can simply enjoy the pure music.

‘The Four Seasons’ by Vivaldi is perhaps one of the most famous classical music pieces of all time. Some swear sacredly by their timeless genius, others view them as ‘overplayed’. British composer Max Richter – known for his cinematic and minimalist music – felt impelled several years ago to take a new approach to this masterpiece. Richter left out as much as 75% of the original score. The other 25% he spun through a kind of minimalist, layered looping.
The result is ‘Vivaldi’s Four Seasons Recomposed by Max Richter’.

PROGRAM

J. Tavener. The Protecting Veil
M. Richter. The Four Seasons Recomposed

Soloists: Pieter Wispelwey, cello & Jolente De Maeyer, violin

Buy tickets

BRYGGEN & Pieter Wispelwey

Sat — 16/03/2024 20:30 Abdijkerk Grimbergen

‘The Protecting Veil’ was originally written as a short piece at the request of cellist Steven Isserlis, but quickly developed into a more substantial work commissioned by the BBC for the 1989 Proms season. Like many of Tavener’s compositions, this work reflects the composer’s Russian Orthodox faith.
Eight Marian icons underlie the work through which Tavener sought to capture the cosmic power of the Mother of God. Above all, the British composer wants to underline and express the importance of the feminine. Although this work expresses a clear subject, you can simply enjoy the pure music.

‘The Four Seasons’ by Vivaldi is perhaps one of the most famous classical music pieces of all time. Some swear sacredly by their timeless genius, others view them as ‘overplayed’. British composer Max Richter – known for his cinematic and minimalist music – felt impelled several years ago to take a new approach to this masterpiece. Richter left out as much as 75% of the original score. The other 25% he spun through a kind of minimalist, layered looping.
The result is ‘Vivaldi’s Four Seasons Recomposed by Max Richter’.

PROGRAM

J. Tavener. The Protecting Veil
M. Richter. The Four Seasons Recomposed

Soloists: Pieter Wispelwey, cello & Jolente De Maeyer, violin

Buy tickets

BRYGGEN & Pieter Wispelwey

Tue — 19/03/2024 20:00 Cultuurcentrum Hasselt

‘The Protecting Veil’ was originally written as a short piece at the request of cellist Steven Isserlis, but quickly developed into a more substantial work commissioned by the BBC for the 1989 Proms season. Like many of Tavener’s compositions, this work reflects the composer’s Russian Orthodox faith.
Eight Marian icons underlie the work through which Tavener sought to capture the cosmic power of the Mother of God. Above all, the British composer wants to underline and express the importance of the feminine. Although this work expresses a clear subject, you can simply enjoy the pure music.

‘The Four Seasons’ by Vivaldi is perhaps one of the most famous classical music pieces of all time. Some swear sacredly by their timeless genius, others view them as ‘overplayed’. British composer Max Richter – known for his cinematic and minimalist music – felt impelled several years ago to take a new approach to this masterpiece. Richter left out as much as 75% of the original score. The other 25% he spun through a kind of minimalist, layered looping.
The result is ‘Vivaldi’s Four Seasons Recomposed by Max Richter’.

PROGRAM

J. Tavener. The Protecting Veil
M. Richter. The Four Seasons Recomposed

Soloists: Pieter Wispelwey, cello & Jolente De Maeyer, violin

Buy tickets

Songs with Roots

Sun — 21/04/2024 15:00 Concertgebouw Brugge

The most beautiful children’s songs with roots in Zeebrugge.

In the spring of 2023, Zonzo Compagnie went to the inhabitants of Zeebrugge in search of special children’s songs with a unique story. They looked into the homes and hearts of Zeebrugge residents and talked about their childhood and musical memories. In Songs with roots, their songs and stories are transformed into a multimedia musical theatre performance that is very close to the people and their stories.

In collaboration with Zonzo Company.

Buy tickets

Minerals

Fri — 26/04/2024 20:00 DE SINGEL Antwerpen

How will we make, play and listen to music tomorrow? The unstoppable advance of artificial intelligence heralds huge revolutions. Will ChatGPT and consorts soon also put composers out of work? Or will a new generation of creative allies emerge here? In any case, composer and pianist Mathias Coppens is not discouraged. Things are happening fast for the Los Angeles-based composer. He made a name for himself in the world of film music, and in recent years has been increasingly writing music for theatre companies, opera and ballet houses and music ensembles.
In De Singel, Coppens uses artificial intelligence to create what may be his most daring project to date. On BRYGGEN’s music stands, a graphic score that only takes shape in real time.

Mathias Coppens – composition
Jolente De Maeyer – musical director
Maya Fridman – solo cello
Klaas Verpoest – live visuals
Menno Buggenhout – app development
Howest Bruges – preliminary research app and visuals

In co-production with De Singel.

Buy tickets
Archive